I am obsessed with waffles!! I will make a huge batch on Saturday morning just so that I can eat the rest of them throughout the week. My family isn’t quite as obsessed as I am, which is sad, but at least that leaves more for me to enjoy, right!
I found this new recipe on minimalistbaker.com and adjusted it just slightly by removing the oil and using whole wheat flour instead of her gluten free flour blend. I also included the vanilla, cinnamon and flax seed optional add-in’s. Let me tell you, they turned out SO good! I will definitely be making these a lot. Maybe if I add the chocolate chips in them next time my kids will be more likely to eat them 🙂
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup (I used maple syrup)
- heaping 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBSP flax seed
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped bananas or other fresh fruit
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a small mixing bowl and let set for a few minutes to curdel/activate. Then add applesauce and agave or maple syrup and whisk. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated. Add additional add-in’s if desired and mix well.
- Let set for 5-10 minutes while your waffle iron preheats.
- Once the waffle iron is ready, coat waffle iron with non-stick spray and pour about 1/2 cup of batter on the iron.
- Cook to desired crispness and serve immediately (or store in the fridge and eat them cold throughout the week like me!)
- Top with your favorite peanut butter, fruit, maple syrup etc. Will keep in the freezer for up to a couple of months